The "Concours d'PigBucket" is a fun little online competition run over the course of the season for those of us flying club or private gliders at the "lower end" of the performance spectrum.We keep score based on the rules set out below, and update the ladder each week by an email to the BSS Members list.When forced by circumstances/whinging to allow slightly higher-performing gliders such as LS4's/Discussesss/Speed Astir's/DG-1000's etc. to participate we handicap all speeds & distances (where applicable) by 10%.All you need to do to join the fun and get a bit competitive is record your flight on an appropriate device (see below), register yourself on the WeGlide website (https://www.weglide.org/) and upload your flight file.For beginners ("Piglets") there are some short triangle tasks within gliding range of the airfield so that you can learn/practice how to fly a cross country task without actually going cross-country i.e. no outlanding rating needed to compete in Piglet Class, and you can even upload your flights with an instructor/coach if you want to use either of the tasks as a training exercise to make your check flights a little more interesting! You can even enter before you go solo if you go flying with a coach or instructor around either of the tasks.All you need to get involved is an appropriate flight computer/tablet etc. and xcsoar (which you can download to an android device for free) or similar software, and then register yourself on the WeGlide website and upload your completed flight files - it's very easy, and if you do need any help just ask any of our many cross-country pilots who will be more than happy to point you in the right direction .. as we've all had to learn ourselves at some point!Le rules:
- Piglet Class is open to any BSS pilot who has not yet gone cross-country, or who has only limited cross-country experience.
- Like every other rule, interpretation of this will be subject to the discretion of the CDPB Porkers-That-Be!
- 1 piglet point shall be earned for every turn point reached around the "Clayton's" triangle task.
- 2 points for every turn point reached on the "Le Grand Tour" task
- Start at Beverley BUT you can only complete the task in a CLOCKWISE direction.
You can fly in any of the club singles or any other approved single seater (see below, or if you're feeling lucky you can try your luck and ask!) and for mutual or coaching flights any of the club 2 seaters is ok.Bonus points!
Completing the TASK i.e. START, all 3 turn points and FINISH will double your points.The following bonus points can also be won while flying EITHER task:
- 5 bonus points for the highest number of turn points reached during a single flight
- 5 bonus points for the highest average climb rate achieved (while on a scoring task) for the season
- 2 bonus points for the highest altitude achieved (while on a scoring task) for the season
The following bonus points can ONLY be won while flying the Le Grand Tour task:
- 5 bonus points for the fastest average speed around all of either triangle
- 5 bonus points for the lowest % circling achieved (while on a scoring task) for the season
Points will be calculated with reference to WeGlide website - make sure you upload your flights to WeGlide or they will not count.
Coaching or mutual flights in any 2-seater are allowed but will be discounted in the following manner:
- Flights with someone deemed to be a "coach" i.e. any experienced cross-country pilot will receive 50% of the points they would otherwise have earned for the flight and no bonus points will be awarded
- Mutual flights with another CDPB competitor - each pilot will receive 50% of the points they would otherwise have earned for the flight if flown solo (split the points) and no bonus points will be awarded
Task details and waypoints are available for download here (below)**New rule for CDPB 2022! Only your 10 best scores will count!**Bacon & Boar ClassesEntry to Bacon Class is open to any BSS pilot flying the mighty Grob Astir CS (or allowable substitute**) cross-country and uploading the flight to Weglide.
· 1 point for every cross-country 50 km flown
· 5 bonus points for the longest cross-country flight of the season
· 5 bonus points for the fastest cross-country flight of the season
· 2 bonus points for the highest flight of the season
· 2 bonus points for anyone flying a personal best distance· 2 bonus points for anyone flying a personal best average speedFor all classes the pilot with the most points at the end of the season (30/4/2023) wins a) glory, b) a trophy!
As is the tradition, the rules are subject to interpretation by CDPBHQ and no further correspondence will be entertained into once a decision is made.A competitor may compete simultaneously in 2 classes, however each flight can only be scored in one class.President Paul has confirmed that there will also continue to be a monthly prize of a $50 credit to your flying account for the "most meritorious" flight of the previous month - in any class, but with a bias towards the Piglets.If you have any questions, just ask.Bon Chance piggies!CDPBHQ (Simon & Richard)
Piglet Task Library
|Waypoint File(s)||Clayton's Triangle||Le Grand Tour||Task File(s)|
|default PIG2021 (3 KB)||[coming soon!]|
General Task Setup
Start and Finish - 3km START LINE
Turnpoints - DAeC (aka Thistle) Type (Combination 500m Circle with 3km Sector)
Example Task Map (PIG21LGT1NW)
Start at BEVAIR by crossing the Start Line from SE to NW Then pass through TP1 Rocky Farm, Turn East toward TP2 Corner Farm and then SW toward TP3 Big Forest. Cross the Finish Line to complete the task at BEVAIR